Sunday 6 January 2013

1. Avengers Assemble (12A)




Dir: Joss Whedon
Cast: Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, Tom Hiddleston

There was no doubt in my mind that this film would feature in my top 10 from when I first read about it being filmed.  I wasn't sure however that it would feature so highly in the list!  This was because when a film is hyped up so much and has an amazing team behind it, it tends not to meet expectation and can be seem as a little bit of a let down (see this years Prometheus for further details!) but this actually exceeded my very very very high hopes!  It was very comedic, both in slapstick and dialogue.  I think the director (Joss Whedon), writers (Zak Penn, Josh Whedon etc) got the feel just right about how the ego's of Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth),  Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and even Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) would all interact with each other and adapt to their surroundings.  

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!










There were so many great scenes, my favorite being this one (which is actually my favorite scene of the year):


Also the little one liners and nods were amusing.  Admittedly I did have to look it up but for them to get the word quim into a film literally millions of kids will see was awesome, it really is a genius way of getting round the censors, using ye olde english.  Of course it wasn't all fun and games, I remember before it came out people were wondering and taking bets on which of the Avengers would die.  A popular choice was Hulk given the mauling the characters previous incarnations had received from audiences and critics alike, even to the extent that this universes original Hulk (Edward Norton) was replaced by Mark Ruffalo (rumors have cited "artistic differences").  However Hulk proved to be, this time round, the strongest of the characters (pun not intended!) and the CGI was actually quite good.  They went down the motion capture route which has led to some amazing things happen on film for our eyes to marvel at (this time it was intended!).  You could see it was Ruffalo, Hulked up!

Going back to who survives and who doesn't, the person who did "die" did come as a genuine shock, I think for most people.  Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) was an essential part of getting the Avengers together and he was a nice guy, most importantly, he was a "normal" human being, someone the audience could connect with and feel for.  I saw this film twice in the cinema and both times when we witness his murder and the hands of Loki (Tom Hiddleston) the audience went silent.  I mean eerily quiet, no talking, rustling of sweets, nothing.  It truly was an amazing thing to witness and certainly added to the emotion.  Now you may have noticed that I put the word die in quotation marks.  This is because #CoulsonLives.  Many people (myself included) think Coulson is not dead and in fact Fury just told this to the Avengers to get them riled up and ready for war, I fully expect to see his face pop up in one of those post credit sequences accordingly. #CoulsonLives.

My one and only complaint of the film.  I did find it unfair that us here in the UK were not treated to a post credits scene that those in the USA were.  This was down to it being filmed way in to post production.  I have since watched it on Blu Ray and although it adds absolutely nothing to the plot it is still a lovely, quirky little treat.



No comments:

Post a Comment